Creating and maintaining a budget can be difficult, especially if you have never done it before. Here are some tips and tricks to help you learn how much you’re spending. As well as ways to save more money!
- Track your spending for roughly a month. This can be done on paper, an excel spreadsheet, or an app. This will allow you to see how much you are actually spending and give you the ability to manage your money better.
- If you choose to use a budgeting app. Some useful budgeting apps that are helpful include: Mint: Budget & Expense Tracker or Every Dollar: Budget Your Dollar.
- Ways to save money can include cutting back on transportation expenses (taking only necessary trips to places to cut gas costs), and accessing food pantries to help lower food costs.
- You can also sign up for a credit card with a low credit line to help build your credit. Having a good credit score is important when trying to apply for apartments, loans, vehicles, etc. Some credit cards offer monthly cash back on purchases. However, make sure you are not spending more than you have in your checking or savings account.
- Start simple: Use a credit card for one or two things and pay it off as soon as the expense posts. Some examples could include gas or food. The important thing to remember with a credit card is to have self-control around your spending and not spend more than you have.